Recipe: Watch How to Make Alaskan Halibut
As an at-home cook, you know there’s nothing like adding a premium seafood recipe to your arsenal! This season, go beyond tilapia and salmon and learn how to prepare fresh Alaskan halibut. To celebrate Alaskan halibut season at Summer House Santa Monica, Executive Chef Ben Goodnick shows you how to prepare Alaskan Halibut with caper-tarragon vinaigrette and a baby green salad.
Once you’ve prepped your fish, all it takes is a bit of time on the stove then in the oven, plus making a simple, full-flavor dressing from scratch. Easy as that! While Summer House’s catch is flown fresh from Alaska in 18 hours, this recipe can be made with halibut you’d find at your local supermarket, in just 20 minutes.
When working with halibut and other fish varieties, it’s important to keep a few things in mind, regardless of your experience level:
Go sharp and bendy with your knife. Using a knife that is 7 to 9 inches long will help your control when filleting—cutting the fish away from the bone—and skinning the fish. A little flexibility makes the whole process smoother, giving more food and less waste.
Season your fish at all stages, but don’t go overboard. Many amateur chefs make the mistake of only seasoning at the end, but this doesn’t give the fish the chance to absorb the seasonings. Until you know the right amount by heart, take it easy, then do a taste test when plating to find out how much more you need.
Pick the perfect wine! Most halibut recipes go well with medium-bodied white wines with high aromatics, and full-bodied whites aged in oak.
Recipe: Alaskan Halibut with Caper-Tarragon Vinaigrette and Baby Green Salad
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh tarragon, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
1 tablespoon capers
1 small shallot, finely chopped
Grated rind and juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 pieces halibut filet (6-8oz each)
6 cups salad greens
1. Combine olive oil, tarragon, chives, capers, shallot, vinegar, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl. Lightly season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Set oven to 375°F.
3. Pat halibut filets dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the canola oil.
5. Add the halibut and cook without touching for 5 minutes or until well browned (peek by gently lifting with spatula).
6. Flip halibut and place skillet in preheated oven. Cook for 5 minutes or until the halibut just begins to flake.
7. Remove halibut from oven and drizzle a small amount of prepared caper-tarragon vinaigrette on each piece. Allow halibut to rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Toss salad greens with some of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
9. Plate halibut and greens; drizzle remaining vinaigrette over the halibut. Enjoy!